Sweet Cherries with Basil
Recipe courtesy of Eugenia Bone on foodandwine.com
- 8 pounds sweet cherries, pitted
- 3 cups sugar
- 16 basil leaves
- In a large, heavy pot, combine the cherries and sugar.
- Cover and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and simmer until the liquid is slightly thickened and glossy and the cherries float in the liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add the basil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pack the cherries and their juices into 4 hot sterilized 1-quart jars, stopping 1/2 inch from the top. Wipe the glass rims and close the jars.
Set them in a water bath and bring to a boil. Process for 20 minutes.